Emergency Medical Responder (EMR)
Course Details Summary
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY – Be sure to review the entire page
- This is an instructor led course with online coursework and assignments. Homework, some lectures, and quizzes are online.
- Classes meet weekly.
- The end date of the course will be 10 weeks from the start of class.
- To complete this course, students must successfully complete all grading components, meet psychomotor competencies, and meet cognitive objectives.
- See the list of required items
The Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) course is designed for anyone interested in learning more about the emergency response system and in becoming a first responder.
The EMR is usually the first trained individual who arrives at the scene of an emergency. The primary focus of an EMR is to initiate immediate lifesaving care to critical patients.
List of required items:
- A portable computer for the first day of class and the final written exam. These are in class instructor led days.
- A computer outside of the classroom for online lectures and assignments
- An internet speed capable of streaming video content.
- Clinical Uniform that will consist of:
- Black Pants – Dickies (no jeans, no scrubs, no yoga pants)
- Polo type shirt – included in cost of class
- Solid Black non-permeable shoes
- Watch – digital type or has a second hand. (any watch that must be “woken up” is not acceptable)
- Small spiral bound notepad
The cost includes:
- Online digital access to Jones and Bartlett AAOS EMR 6th Edition
- Digital Copy of AAOS 6th Edition EMR (paper text can be purchased for an additional fee)
- Access to lectures and online activities and assignments
- American Heart Association BLS CPR certification
- Blood Pressure cuff and stethoscope
- Access to National Testing preparation program
- Clinical Uniform shirt
- 12 hours of mandatory Pre-Hospital clinical observation – Ambulance ride time coordinated by CPR Training Professionals